Do I like oatcakes? Until recently I was unconvinced. Oatcakes conjured up dull images of half eaten packets of stale oat crackers at the back of our snack cupboard. In my mind, they had always been much less appealing than other crispbreads. I guess I’m more of a …
Tag: Bread recipes with oats
This month’s theme for the #TwelveLoaves bakers is Malt. I have previously used malt extract for dark wholemeal breads to add flavour and as a source of sugar for the yeast. However, with malt taking centre stage this month, I wanted to do more and decided …
Packed with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, calcium and fibre, chia seeds are all the nutritious rage at the moment. I’ve been crunchifying chia seeds in my home-baked granola for a while – the best breakfast! – and recently also started working on a chia seed bread recipe. Using chia seeds in baking is a great way of integrating these little nutri-bombs into your diet and while the seeds won’t add much in terms of taste, your breakfast slice of high-energy chia bread will certainly keep you going for longer.
My picks of the best chia bread recipes
Here are the top 5 recipes from across the web for using chia seeds in bread baking.
- Buckwheat & chia bread (a gluten free option) by Thehealthychef.com
- A life-changing loaf (muesli in a loaf) by My New Roots
- A simple chia crispbread by Nyoutritious
- A wonderful apple-blueberry-chia sourdough loaf by Bread & Companatico
- My own recipe for an easy and very tasty chia seed loaf with rye flour and rye flakes (see below)
Chia Seed Bread Recipe
Here is my own chia seed bread recipe which I have been using now for several years – and it still is one of my very best recipes, perfect for a nutrient-rich slice of breakfast goodness.
Chia Seed Bread Recipe
Chia bread ingredients
- 275 g white bread flour
- 175 g wholemeal rye flour
- 75 g rye flakes you can also use oat flakes, toasted
- 9 g salt
- 7 g dried yeast
- 50 g chia seeds
- 415 g water 300g to make the chia gel and the remaining 115g to be added to the main dough
How to make chia bread
- In a medium bowl, combine 300g of the water with the chia seeds and stir. Immediately, the chia seeds will start absorbing the liquid and within 30 minutes you will have a thick gelatinous liquid. This chia gel will help keep the bread moist.
- While the chia gel is maturing, combine the flours, rye flakes, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add the chia gel and the remaining water (115g).
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Place the dough back into the bowl and cover with a lid. Rest for about an hour at room temperature.
- Deflate the dough and shape into a round loaf on a lightly floured work surface.
- Prepare a proofing basket and place the loaf into the floured basket for its second rise. Cover with a polythene bag to keep the moisture in. Depending on the temperature in your room, the second proof may take approx. 1 or 2 hours. The fully proofed loaf will have expanded significantly.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C for about 20 minutes.
- Turn out the loaf onto a baking tray lined with baking paper or onto the preheated La Cloche baking dome (as I did for the loaf in my photo).
- Bake for 10 minutes at 220°C before decreasing the temperature to 200°C and bake for another 45 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- 🍒【PERFECT SIZE FOR BAKING BREAD】1Proofing Basket+ Bread Lame+Dough Scraper+Linen Liner Cloth
- 🍒【Excellent Craftsmanship, Emwel Brand】This oval banneton basket using natural rattan, absolutely free from dyeing agent&chemicals. Made with natural material, love and care from our making handmade basket masters.
- 🍒【A GREAT GIFT FOR BAKERS】Surprise your beloved ones, backers, housewives, friends or family members with the natural rattan made beautifully and well made bowl that every one would love it.
- 🍒【Easy Cleaning & Unchangeable】 High quality and natural rattan can effectively ensure that the bread basket does not change and keep it dry after clean. With linen liner cloth, making cleaning more convenient!
- 🍒【GUARANTEED QUALITY】 We are committed to offer our customers with the best quality products and great customer support. We are fully confident about our quality and sincerely hope you will be satisfied either. If you are not happy with our basket kit for any reason, please contact us, we will be happy to resolve the problem to your full satisfaction or REFUND.
- Features: Our sourdough kit has a beautiful spiral or coil-shaped pattern that will print on your bread loaf. While proofing, our banneton basket can also absorb some moisture. Using our bread proofing basket, you can create crispy bread by using sourdough proving basket.
- Size & Fit Guide: 10 inches round bread proving baskets100% made of rattan for a medium to large size loaf.
- 100% NATURAL: No more wood shavings in your home bread. Our banneton bread proofing basketis made from 100% natural rattan, handmade, high-quality, and reliable. Perfect for homemakers, chefs and the bakers.
- Set: 10 inches round proofing basket made of rattan + Dough scraper made up of stainless steel + Recipe Card + Cloth liner, which prevents the dough from sticking to the basket + Recipe Card has described it is branded + Bread lame made of plastic and has a metal tip.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Remove by shaking excess flour off to clean the banneton basket. It with warm water and then air dry it before using it.
- ★ ARTISAN BREAD : Our banneton proofing basket made from natural rattan, work by creating a slightly humid micro-climate between the dough and the banneton during proofing, to creates a superb skin for artisan bread
- ★HEALTHY MATERIAL: Made of 100% nature rattan and comply with EU food standard, .Lightweight, extremely durable and easy to store
- ★EASY TO CLEAN : Clean by hand wash with warm water within 2 minutes and keep dry after clean; or leave somewhere warm and dry. Brush with a dedicated bristle brush
- ★SAVE MONEY: Banneton Proofing Basket + FREE BRUSH + FREE LINER + FREE BREAD FORK
- ★1YEAR GUARANTEE, We will fully REFUND you if have any flaws. If you like 8.5” Round Banneton basket, You can view B01N2PQCB7
I usually use jumbo oats when making granola but they also make a loaf of bread nice and wholesome. Rolled oats are oat groats (hulled whole grains) that have been rolled into flakes, steamed and lightly toasted. Note that the oats, although quite sizeable, will …