‘Mexican breads’ is the theme of this month’s #twelveloaves baking collective.
I decided to go for Mexican comfort food and these cemitas bread rolls filled with tasty chicken, avocado, cheese and spicy sauce are just perfect!
Cemitas are round, fluffy, sesame-topped bread rolls from Puebla, Mexico. The roll forms the basis of the cemita poblana sandwich which is filled with avocado, onions, Oaxaca cheese, breaded beef or pork carnitas, chipotle peppers, a spicy red sauce (such as adobo) and the herb papalo.
Cemita rolls are made with an enriched brioche-like dough using eggs and lard. The ingredients below are the result of extensive research. Now all I need to to is go to Mexico next to ensure my cemitas are truly authentic!
Ingredients (for 8 cemita rolls)
For the dough –
- 340g flour
- 145g corn flour
- 150g water
- 150g buttermilk, lukewarm
- 10g salt
- 5g dry yeast
- 7g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 60g lard
For the topping –
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Sesame seeds
How to bake cemita rolls
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then whisk the eggs together with the melted butter and lukewarm buttermilk.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead until smooth. The dough should be a little sticky, so add more water if it’s too dry.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover and leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into eight pieces, cover and leave to rest for 20 mins.
- Shape each piece into a ball, then flatten until it resembles a burger bun.
- Place the buns on a baking tray lined with baking paper (make sure they are not too close to each other).
- Cover with a clean kitchen towel for the second rise until well proved.
- Half an hour before baking, preheat the oven to 205°C / 400°F .
- Just before the rolls go into the oven, brush each bun with the milk-water wash and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
What you need to make cemitas poblanas
- 4 cemita rolls
- 4 chicken Milanese
- 150g mozzarella cheese (to substitute Oaxacan cheese)
- 2 ripe avocados halved, pitted, peeled and sliced
- ½ small red onion skinned and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seeded and cut into strips
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and runs smoothly with the help of Heather of girlichef, and the rest of our fabulous bakers.
Our host this month is Heather from girlichef, and our theme is Mexican Breads. For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month’s mouthwatering selection of #TwelveLoaves Cheese Breads!
Bolillos from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Conchas de Pan Dulce from Cake Duchess
Conchas (Mexican Sweet Bread) from Hostess At Heart
Mexican Cemitas from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Pan de Muerto from A Shaggy Dough Story
Teleras (Flat Bread Rolls) from girlichef
Whole Wheat Mexican Bolillos from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
If you’d like to bake along with us this month, share your Mexican Bread using hashtag #TwelveLoaves!