My passion for bread baking and all things #realbread have had the nice side effect of getting lovely bread related gifts for birthdays and for Christmas. Over the years, I’ve received many great gifts – some educational, some decorative, some unusual, unique and quirky. If you are looking for Christmas gift ideas for the bread baker in your life, this guide to the best gifts for bread bakers and bread baking should be helpful. There are lots of bread making gifts to choose from and here are my top gift ideas for bread bakers.
1. Bread making books
Bread making books are brilliantly inspirational and educational gifts for bread bakers of all levels. Here are my top picks and all-time favourite bread books which have been with me all the way.
- Sourdough (published in March 2017)
- Slow Dough Real Bread: Bakers’ Secrets for Making Amazing Long-Rise Loaves at Home
- Bread Matters: Why and How to Make Your Own – the best bread baking book I own
- The Homemade Loaf: The Best European and Artisan Recipes for Homemade Bread
- Do Sourdough – Slow Bread for Busy Lives
- Tartine Bread
- Crust: From Sourdough, Spelt and Rye Bread to Ciabatta, Bagels and Brioche
- The Art of Mindful Baking
- Modernist Bread: The Art and Science
2. Clever bread making tools
These bread making gifts are for bakers who are looking to up their bread baking game.
- A brilliant bread baking tool is the Lékué bread maker, a wonderfully efficient and practical silicone bowl which can be used for mixing, proofing and baking loaves of bread. It makes for a unique and clever gift for bread bakers, you can also read my detailed review here.
- One bread baking accessory I cannot recommend highly enough is the La Cloche baking dome, a stoneware baking set with a base and domed lid. Baking with the La Cloche dome will do wonders for the aesthetics of bread loaves, delivering brilliantly crisp crusts and a soft, evenly baked crumb.
- For those of us with cold kitchens which make proofing bread loaves, and sourdough loaves specifically, a lengthy and sometimes difficult process. Let me introduce the Brod and Taylor Folding Bread Proofer which doubles up as yoghurt maker and slow cooker.
3. Bread baking gift sets
This can be a really nice gift idea for budding bread bakers. Put together a bread making kit gift including a mixing bowl, dough scraper, baking cloth and a bread baking book. It makes for a thoughtful and decorative gift to get a newbie baker off to a great start!
Assemble a gift basket for bread bakers:
- Food Preparation Bowl Set
- Plastic Dough Scraper
- Banneton Proving Baskets
- Bread Matters: Why and How to Make your Own
- Heavy-duty Loaf Tin
- Oven Thermometer (for ovens as temperamental as mine)
- Thermapen Instant Food Thermometer (to avoid under-cooked breads)
- Electric Scales (an absolute MUST)
4. A grain mill for serious bakers
The perfect gift for those serious about bread baking. Grinding flour at home and using fresh flour for bread baking makes a baker’s homemade goods even more flavoursome. Choose a quality and versatile grain mill for the best results!
- Komo Fidibus Grain Mill
A medium-sized, electric grain mill from Germany. High-quality, solid beechwood casing, stunning good looks, grinds all grains.
5. Accessory gifts for bread bakers
Some of the most useful gifts I’ve ever received were bread accessories for storing and serving bread. Here are some practical and decorative ideas for bread accessory gifts.
- High-quality Bread Knives
- Bread Cutting Boards – make sure it has a crumb catcher
- A decorative Bread Bin – looks good in the kitchen and keeps bread fresh for longer
- Bread Basket – for serving bread in style
- Russell Hobbs Toaster
6. Bread photography
I love taking pictures of everything I bake and this book has helped me advance my bread photography.
7. Artisan bread baking courses
A brilliant gift to give! Here are some bread baking courses I can recommend:
8. Homemade Bread Gifts for Bakers
Have fun choosing! I’m sure there are many more brilliant gifts for bread bakers out there, so let me know if you come across something special. I’ll add it to the list 🙂