Having recently returned from a holiday in Cyprus, I wanted to recreate some of the tasty Greek-Cypriot-style pastries at home.
This is my take on spanakopita (spinach triangles) – little pastries stuffed with spinach, feta cheese, pine nuts and fresh herbs.
- 250g strong white flour
- 7g salt
- 7g dried yeast
- 20g olive oil
- 130g water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 medium leek, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 400g fresh spinach leaves
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 tbsp pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 3 tbsp fresh fresh herbs (dill, mint or parsley), finely chopped
- freshly crushed pepper
How to bake them
For the dough
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Once you have a rough dough, turn it out onto a lightly oiled work surface
- Knead for 7 to 10 minutes until the dough is soft and no longer sticky
- Put the dough back into the bowl and cover with cling film
- Set aside at room temperature for at least an hour
For the filling
- Heat the oil in a large pan
- Stir fry the garlic, leek and spring onions for a few minutes
- Put the mixture on a plate and set aside
- Add the spinach leaves to the pan and stir until wilted
- Simmer until all excess liquid from the spinach has evaporated (you can speed up this process by straining the excess liquid through a colander before placing the mixture back in the pan to dry it out further), stir frequently
- Set aside to cool
- Combine all ingredients: the garlic, leek and spring onion mixture, the spinach, crumbled feta cheese, toasted pine nuts and finely chopped herbs in a bowl
- Season to taste
For the pastries
- Preheat the oven to 220°C
- Divide the dough into eight equal parts with a dough scraper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each dough piece into a round about 15 cm in diameter, one at a time.
- Place 1/8 of the spinach and feta filling onto the dough round.
- Pick up 3 “corners” of the dough and bring together to form a dough triangle.
- Shape the dough parcel by bringing together the sides of the triangle, sealing them carefully. Use a little water to make this process easier.
- Place the dough parcels on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack or eat warm.
Here they are – great spinach pastry appetizers!