This week I’m celebrating sweet breads with #twelveloaves and I have chosen to bake this wonderful saffron bread. Saffron adds a mellow, slightly bitter taste to the bread which works well with the sweetness of the raisins. This saffron loaf is a beautiful breakfast bread, delicious with honey.
Breads similar to this are traditionally served in Sweden on December 13 to commemorate St. Lucia.
Saffron bread recipe
Saffron bread ingredients
- 100g milk, lukewarm
- 1g dried instant yeast
- 100g plain flour
Dissolve the yeast in the lukewarm milk. Add the flour and mix well. Cover and rest for an hour or more until frothy.
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, broken up (I would recommend not using more than this as the bread can otherwise have a very overpowering saffron taste – a little saffron can go a long way)
- 50g raisins
- 150g hot milk
In a small bowl, pour the hot milk over raisins and saffron threads and let stand for 10 mins to release the saffron’s natural colour and aroma.
- 250 strong white bread flour
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- A pinch of salt
- 30g butter, softened
- Just before baking: 1 egg for the egg wash
How to bake saffron bread
- Combine the sponge, saffron infusion and final dough ingredients in a large bowl.
- Knead for 5-10 mins until have a smooth and elastic dough.
- Place back in the bowl and leave to rest for approximately 1 hour or longer, depending on the temperature in your room, until well risen.
- Knock down the dough and shape into a boule or loaf. Traditional Swedish loaves are shaped into an S-shape; however, I prefer a simple round loaf.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover with a tea towel and proof until the loaf has sufficiently increased in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C half an hour before baking.
- Brush the loaf with egg wash just before baking, then bake for 25 mins at 200°C then turn the heat back slightly to 190°C for another 25 minutes. After 25 minutes you may also want to cover the loaf with tin foil to ensure the crust is not darkening too much.
- Cool your saffron-infused, raisin-studded bread on a wire rack and enjoy!
Our theme this month is A LITTLE SOMETHING SWEET. For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month’s mouthwatering selection of #TwelveLoaves Mexican Breads!
- Cinnamon Mocha Swirl Bread from blackberry eating in late september
- Cinnamon Sticky Buns from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Lemonade Muffins from Rhubarb and Honey
- Hawaiian Style Sweet Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Malt Bread from girlichef
- Salted Chocolate and Marzipan Babka from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- S’mores Monkey Bread from The Redhead Baker
If you’d like to bake along with us this month, share your “A Little Something Sweet” Bread using hashtag #TwelveLoaves!