Buckwheat galettes are a weekend breakfast staple in our house and the wonderfully distinctive taste of buckwheat makes for interesting bread baking too. There is quite a variety of robust tasting breads and bakes you can achieve with buckwheat; here are some of the best buckwheat bread recipes.
10 things to know about buckwheat
- Buckwheat isn’t wheat. It’s the seed of an annual cold-climate loving plant belonging to the rhubarb family. The seeds are pointed and triangular in shape.
- Buckwheat is sold as groats (hulled whole buckwheat), as kasha (toasted buckwheat groats) or flour.
- Buckwheat flour comes from the milled de-husked seeds of the buckwheat plant (fagopyrum esculentum). The fine-textured, grey-ish flour usually comes as wholemeal with the full de-husked seed being crushed.
- Buckwheat has a strong, distinctive, nutty flavour.
- Buckwheat flour is gluten-free and is used in gluten-free baking to add flavour and nutritional value.
- It’s popular in Eastern Europe (blinis and kasha) and Japan (soba noodles).
- The biggest producers of buckwheat are Russia, China and Kazakhstan.
- Buckwheat contains higher levels of zinc (helps to bolster the immune system), copper, and manganese than other cereal grains.
- It is also a useful source of rutin which is thought to help control blood pressure and to possess anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic properties.
- The Distillerie des Menhirs makes a pure buckwheat whisky, described here as ‘smooth, strange and unique’. Would love to try it!
10 best buckwheat bread recipes
No matter what rocks your taste buds, buckwheat has an answer. A world of possibilities opens up when you start looking at baking with buckwheat and here are some of the very best recipes.
- A delicious buckwheat yeast bread with seaweed (The New York Times)
A recipe inspired by the region of Brittany; ingredients include buckwheat flour, wheat flour, kombu seaweed and dried yeast; ideal with seafood, think oysters, scallops or mussels.
- Wholesome buckwheat crackers with sesame (The New York Times)
Great with smoked salmon; ingredients include buckwheat flour, wheat flour and sesame seeds. Note though, that I used about 3-4 times as much water as used in the recipe to bring the dough together.
- Buckwheat sourdough bread recipe (no yeast) (Weekend Loafer)
French Buckwheat Bâtard which uses buckwheat flour, wheat flour and a liquid levain.
- Sprouted buckwheat bread recipe (raw) (The Raw Chef)
An inspiring raw food recipe worth trying; ingredients include sprouted buckwheat, sun-dried tomatoes, courgette, apple, avocado and flax meal.
- Buckwheat soda bread (Dan Lepard for The Guardian)
If gluten-free soda bread is your thing, here’s a good recipe to try; based on buckwheat flour and potato flour.
- Gluten-free bread & linseed bread
This yeast-based recipe combines buckwheat flour, cornflour, linseed and psyllium husk powder with water, yoghurt and olive oil to form a wholesome loaf of gluten-free bread.
- Buckwheat pita bread recipe (Souvlaki For The Soul)
Don’t expect them to puff, but these buckwheat flatbreads taste superb with souvlaki and tzatziki.
- Buckwheat pancakes
A weekend brunch special; ingredients include buckwheat flour and buckwheat groats; serve with smoked salmon, cream cheese and green leaves
- Griddled buckwheat muffins from Dan Lepard’s The Handmade Loaf
Another breakfast special; for some reason buckwheat works particularly well when served early in the morning!
- Gluten-free and vegan lemon buckwheat waffles (The Healthy Maven)
Healthy waffles combining chia seeds, buckwheat flour, coconut flour, lemon juice, maple syrup and almond milk.
What’s your favourite buckwheat bread?