A new year, a new pancake recipe! This time, using chickpea flour. I’ve baked with chickpea flour before and always thought chickpea flour pancakes were a particularly nice way of using chickpea flour in baking. These chickpea flour pancakes are super light and fluffy (without the use of baking powder) and make an excellent weekend breakfast choice. Unfortunately, they are not quite vegan due to the added egg, but certainly a good option for anyone on a vegetarian diet.
For more chickpea flour baking ideas including my recipe for chickpea flour and fennel sourdough bread, take a look at my chickpea flour baking post from a few years ago.
Chickpea flour pancakes recipe
This chickpea pancakes recipe uses a little bit of dried yeast as well as an egg to help them rise and make them light and fluffy.
The pancakes themselves don’t include any spices such as cumin, coriander, mustard seeds or turmeric – as can often be found in Indian chickpea pancakes. Instead, I like to serve them plain or add some fresh ingredients (onion, chili and coriander leaves) to the batter.
Serve with your choice of savoury topping; I’ve included some suggestions below.
Chickpea pancakes recipe
- 200 g chickpea flour
- 4 g dried yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 small egg beaten
- 200 g water
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 fresh chili (green or red) finely chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves a few sprigs, finely chopped
How to make chickpea pancakes
- Combine the chickpea flour, yeast and salt in a bowl.
- Add the beaten egg and the water.
- Add the chopped onion, chili and coriander leaves and combine well.
- Cover and set aside for an hour, until nice and frothy.
- Make the pancakes in a non-stick frying pan by heating up oil (I use a silicone brush to distribute a layer of oil evenly across the frying pan surface area). Use 3 tbsp of batter per pancake.
- Serve immediately.
For more breakfast pancake recipe ideas, take a look at my buckwheat groats pancake recipe, this recipe for sorghum flour pancakes with options for both sweet and savoury breakfast pancakes or this recipe for galettes de sarrasin.