I’m a big fan of the sourdough overnight rise i.e. proofing sourdough overnight. It allows me to fit sourdough baking into my daily routine more easily and offers an opportunity to improve the flavour and aroma characteristics of my loaves.
In this post, I wanted to share some basics and tips around using this technique.
How does the sourdough overnight rise method work?
Fermentation will continue during refrigeration which will ensure the rise takes place albeit more slowly. By slowing down the process, sourdough breads that ferment overnight in the fridge develop more acidity during this time.
In general, there are a few things to look out for when baking an overnight sourdough bread recipe.
Overnight first rise
This method relates to the initial rise of the dough once you have mixed your dough ingredients including the refreshed sourdough starter. If you want to give your bread a good, long rise for reasons of flavour and nutritional quality but you cannot start the process until late in the evening, this would be a good option. Try to mix the dough at around 27°C (you can influence this by using water at this temperature) to give it a head-start, then place in the fridge at 5°C overnight before shaping the loaf and its final proof.
This is a great method if you want to bake your loaf first thing in the morning. Overnight proofing however isn’t risk free as proof times will as always vary based on the dough temperature and general vigour of the sourdough used. When I use this method, I tend to use water 27°C – 32°C for mixing the main dough ingredients and leave it to rest at room temperature for a good few hours before shaping the loaf. This means the fermentation process has well and truly started by the time the loaf goes into the fridge.
However, if your dough is too lively at this stage, or your fridge not powerful enough, the loaf may over-proof before the morning and you won’t be there too notice until it’s too late.
On the other hand, the dough may not be lively enough and the fridge will slow things right down. So by the time the morning comes, your dough may not have risen enough and due to the cold dough temperature it will take a while to get it to its final fully proofed stage. Experience will be your best guide here.
Tips for proofing sourdough overnight
- The dough will be cold as it comes out of the fridge. If you are proofing your sourdough overnight for its first rise, it will take a while to get going again. Ensure it arrives into a warm space after its time in the fridge.
- Get to know the vigour of your sourdough and get the dough temperature right before starting the overnight rise. This will ensure you limit some of the risks described above.
- Experiment with different recipes and different flours to test and learn.
- Here are some recipes to get you started on this method: French pain de campagne and Russian 100% rye bread
- PERFECT SIZE FOR PERFECT SOURDOUGH - Diameter 10"(25cm), height 3.5"(8.75cm). Natural Rattan Basket Oval shape with accessories. Allows for 1.5lbs(0.6kg) of dough for a medium or large size loaf. Perfect for baking gifts.
- EQUIPPED: - Bread scraper - Wooden Bread lame ( with replacements ) - Wooden Brush - Linen bag - Oven liner cloth - Instructions paper and receipts. A complete sourdough starter kit.
- ECO-FRIENDLY, NATURAL SMELL, SAFE, FIRM, WASHABLE AND DURABLE - We make sure your proving basket is efficient and will last for long. Each product has been inspected and tested for your safety. Our Banetton baskets are handmade and hand-crafted and food safe.
- INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDED - Our proving baskets include instructions on how to wash your banneton basket and two delicious receipts for getting started. Instructions to help ensure first time success in sourdough bread baking. Full bread making equipment.
- MEAL MAKER - Bread, pizza, Farmer's bread, Rye bread, Swedish Limpa Rye bread, Multigran bread, Whole wheat bread, and much more. Use your round trays as pasta making kit or dough whisk.
- THE PERFECT GIFT FOR HOME BAKERS OF ALL LEVELS - banneton proving baskets set of 2 includes: 9" Round and 10" Oval, Liner Cloths, Professional Bread Lame & Danish Dough Whisk, Cotton Bread Bag, Metal & Plastic Dough Scraper, Silicone Baking Mat & Hand Brush, Bread Stencils, Digital Care Manual
- HANDCRAFTED & ETHICALLY-SOURCED - We believe in empowering local makers and are proud to offer authentic banneton basket made by skilled makers in Indonesian villages
- PREMIUM BREAD MAKING TOOLS and SUPPLIES, YOUR SATISFACTION IS 100% GUARANTEED OR YOUR MONEY BACK - we use only the highest quality, tested materials and we will replace or refund your purchase if you are not completely satisfied...we're that confident you'll love your sourdough starter kit for bread baking accessories
- MADE FROM 100% INDONESIAN RATTAN - our sourdough bread proving baskets are smooth, stick-proof and odour-free. Great at wicking moisture away from the dough surface to produce crispy crusts that every baker will love
- WELL-FORMED LOAVES - Proofing is an essential method to create perfect bread loaves that are soft on the inside with a crisp crust outside. We provide round and oval sourdough basket, bread scorer, scraper, along with the most complete bread making kit you could need
- ✔Newest Lengthen Handle:It's with lengthen wooden handle,more fits comfortable in the grip of your hand,easier to use and more precise cutting.(our handle length 16cm/6.3inch,others ordinary handle length 10.8cm/4.25inch,difficult to handle).
- 🔪Sharps Replaceable Blades:5pcs additional double-edged blades made from 216 stainless steel are professionally for bread cutting,more easier to replace and use,no blunt.
- 👍Protective&Safe Storage:Package with authentic leather protective cover to safely store away when done using,and prevent any incidental damage from edges of the blade and you.
- 👍DIY Bread Application:There are two different bread cutter,prefect for any size bread cutting edge to get achieve outstanding any scoring results as you want.
- 🎁Best Gift for Bakers:Let anyone beginner bread baker and professional bread baker makes for beautiful scoring on sour dough breads to baking beautiful bread.